What is a cookie?
A cookie is a text file harmless stored on your browser when you visit almost any website. The usefulness of the cookie is that the web is able to remember your visit next time you browse that page. Although many people do not know the cookies have been in use for 20 years, when the first browser for the World Wide Web.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus or a Trojan, not a worm, or spam or spyware, or open pop-up windows.
What information stores a cookie ?
The cookies do not often store sensitive information about you, such as credit card or bank account information, photographs, your identity card or personal information, etc. The data stored are technical, personal preferences, personalization of content, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person if your web browser. In fact, if you usually browse with Internet Explorer and try to browse the same web with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because you are actually associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies exist?
- Cookies techniques: These are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when you are browsing a human or an automated application, when an anonymous user navigates and one registered basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic web.
- Cookies analysis: collect information on the type of navigation is performing, most used sections, reference numbers, time period of use, language, etc.
- Cookies advertising: display advertising based on their navigation, their country of origin, language, etc.
What are cookies own and those of others?
The cookies themselves are generated by the page you’re visiting and third are generated by internal or external providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc. To understand the scope that may have disable cookies we show some examples:
What if I turn off the cookies ?
- You can not share content from that page to Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The web site will not adapt content to their personal preferences, as often happens in the online stores.
- You can not access the personal area of the web, such as My Account , or My Profile or My orders .
- Online stores: It will be impossible to make purchases online, will have to be telephone or by visiting the physical store if you have one.
- It will not be possible to customize their geographic preferences as time zone, currency or language.
- The website can not perform analytical web visitors and traffic on the web, making it difficult for the website to be competitive.
- You can not write on the blog, you can not upload photos, post comments, evaluate or rate content. The web may not know whether you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam .
- No advertising may show sectioned, reducing advertising revenue on the web.
Can I remove cookies ?
Yes. Not only eliminate also block, general or particular to a specific domain. To remove cookies from a website should go to your browser settings and there you can find the associated domain in question and proceed to its elimination.
Configuring cookies for the browsers polulares
- Here’s how to access a cookie particular browser Chrome . Note: These steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences using the File menu or by clicking the icon that appears personalization top right.
- You see different sections, click the option Show Advanced Options .
- Go to Privacy , Content Settings .
- Select All cookies and site data .
- a list appears with all cookies ordered by domain. To make it easier to find the cookies of a specific domain partially or completely enter the address in the field Search cookies .
- After making this filter will appear on the screen one or more lines with the cookies of the web request. Now just select it and press X to proceed to its elimination.
To access the configuration of cookies the browser Internet Explorer follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Tools , Internet Options
- Click Privacy .
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the configuration of cookies the browser Firefox follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Options or Preferences for your operating system.
- Click Privacy .
- In History choose Use custom settings for history .
- Now you will see the option Accept cookies , you can activate or deactivate as desired.
To access the configuration cookies browser for OSX Safari follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Preferences , then Privacy .
- Here you will see the option Block cookies to fit the type of lock to perform.
To access the configuration of cookies the browser Safari for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Settings , then Safari .
- You go to Privacy and Security , see the option Block cookies to fit the type of lock to perform.
To access the setting cookies in the browser to devices Android follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Run the browser and press Menu , then Settings .
- Go to Privacy and Security , see the option Accept cookies to check or uncheck the box.
To access the setting cookies in the browser to devices Windows Phone follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Open Internet Explorer , then More , then Settings
- Now you can enable or clear the Allow cookies .